How can you keep a perm looking good? It starts with the way you wash it. Forty-eight hours after the perm, it’s time for the best shampoo and conditioner for permed hair.
How do you know which are the best products to use after a perm? You’ll want to treat it like it’s naturally curly hair. This means a moisturizing shampoo, hopefully without sulfates. Then, apply a nourishing conditioner, preferably without silicone as it may weigh down the curls.
Check out our top picks below:
|The best shampoos and conditioners for permed hair||Why we love them|
|Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo and Conditioner Set, Jamaican Black Castor Oil|
|Garnier Hair Care Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo, Conditioner, and Butter Cream Leave-In Conditioner|
|L'Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner|
|Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal, Anti-Dandruff Treatment, Royal Oils Collection|
|Davines NOUNOU Shampoo|
|Cantu Sulfate-Free Cleansing Cream Shampoo|
|SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner|
- How to make your perm last for six months or more
- Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Permed Hair in 2021
- Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo and Conditioner Set
- Garnier Hair Care Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo, Conditioner, and Butter Cream Leave-In Conditioner
- L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner
- Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal, Anti Dandruff Treatment and Scalp Care, Royal Oils Collection with Coconut Oil, for Natural and Curly Hair
- Davines NOUNOU Shampoo
- Cantu Sulfate-Free Cleansing Cream Shampoo
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner
How to make your perm last for six months or more
Your stylist will tell you to avoid washing your hair for at least two days after getting a perm. That’s the basic advice that everyone gets. But they may not inform you that you shouldn’t comb it for a full day afterward. Also, don’t put it in a ponytail or style it until after you wash it (1).
If you have trouble combing the curls, do it in the shower with a conditioner and a wide-tooth comb.
But wait, there’s more you can do to keep those curls shiny and bouncy. Don’t dye your hair for at least two weeks either after or before getting a permanent.
If you heat-style, apply a protectant. This may be a leave-in conditioner or hairspray. You can also use a diffuser.
Finally, moisture is key. Even if you have oily hair, use conditioner on the tips. It won’t relax the waves or the curls. Don’t be afraid to condition because it helps reduce frizz and prevents tangles. If your hair is extra-dry or damaged, try a leave-in conditioner or hair mask. You’ll see one of the best conditioners for permed hair at the bottom of the article..
Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Permed Hair in 2021
Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo and Conditioner Set
They are pH-balanced and silicone-free, perfect for curly hair. This shampoo and conditioner for permed hair feature Jamaican black castor oil and apple cider vinegar. Even with that unique combination, they smell like vanilla cookies.
They are formulated to repair and strengthen chemically-treated hairstyles. Castor oil helps reduce split ends and smooth the hair’s cuticle. Meanwhile, apple cider clarifies the scalp and leaves the hair shiny. But those aren’t the only goodies in the bottle.
There’s also peppermint oil that leaves a pleasant tingle while it stimulates hair growth. And there’s the certified organic raw shea butter for the right amount of moisture without clogging pores.
Both formulas are free of sulfates and silicone. Users say they feel luxurious, have a great scent, and leave the hair soft and shiny.
- Free of sulfates and silicone, formulated for chemically treated and naturally curly hair
- pH-balanced and packed with moisturizers like raw shea butter and castor oil
- Pleasant fragrance and cooling sensation
- Leave the hair soft, shiny, and bouncy
- Not everyone loves the fragrance that lingers for hours
Garnier Hair Care Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo, Conditioner, and Butter Cream Leave-In Conditioner
What are the best drugstore products for permed hair? We’re fans of the Garnier Curl Nourish set. Over the past year, we gave them a try because some of our regular favorites were unavailable or out of price range. The results were impressive from the very first use.
Instead of the typical SLS or SLES, the shampoo contains mild surfactants. They won’t damage chemically-treated hair. It also has argan oil and fruit protein for extra strength.
Plus, the formula is silicone-free. It’s infused with glycerin, a humectant that draws moisture into the hair. Then, there’s coconut oil to seal in the hydration and leave each curl shiny smooth.
For extra nourishment, frizz control, and shine, use the creamy leave-in conditioner. It will keep your style sleek for up to twenty-four hours even in high humidity. It also helps with detangling and provides a little bit of hold.
The only downside to these products is the fragrance. Most people seem to love it, however.
- Affordable and effective, free of silicone and sulfates
- Packed with natural nutrients and moisturizers
- Maintains curls soft, bouncy, and frizz-free
- Set includes shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in conditioner cream
- Has a rather strong fragrance
L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner
Those who follow the Curly Girl Method probably already know about L’Oreal’s sulfate-free products. They provide gentle cleansing and conditioning that won’t strip color from hair or damage perms.
The conditioner promises up to forty-eight hours of curl definition. The catch is in the wording – “up to” doesn’t mean you’ll get two days of frizz-free hair. If you’re dealing with high humidity or sleeping on a flannel pillowcase, don’t expect a miracle.
On the other hand, we are pleased with how moisturizing the shampoo and conditioner are. The shampoo has a nice fragrance and lather and the conditioner leaves the hair silken and manageable.
Digging a little deeper, we discovered they are gluten-free and paraben-free as well.
- Free of sulfates, parabens, and gluten, designed especially for chemically-treated hair
- Reduce frizz for up to two days
- Pleasant fresh fragrance and lush lather
- High humidity may reduce the amount of time you can go frizz-free – try a leave-in conditioner to boost the effects
Head and Shoulders Shampoo, Moisture Renewal, Anti Dandruff Treatment and Scalp Care, Royal Oils Collection with Coconut Oil, for Natural and Curly Hair
It used to be that there were no good choices if you had dry, curly hair and dandruff. Every dandruff shampoo seemed to strip all the moisture and natural oil. But times have changed and Head and Shoulders has the answer. Their Royal Oils Collection is a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner made specifically for curly hair, whether permed or natural.
You don’t have to use it every day to get results. Wash with it once or twice a week to clear up itching and flaking. It contains pyrithione zinc like the majority of anti-dandruff shampoos. This anti-fungal agent solves the problem in almost every case.
No, it’s not sulfate-free. It has sodium laureth sulfate which is less aggressive than the notorious sodium lauryl sulfate. Thankfully, the formula is carefully balanced with coconut oil and moisturizers to prevent dryness.
Also, it’s not silicone-free. It has dimethicone to smooth the cuticle and help lock in moisture.
Fortunately, it doesn’t contain either dyes or parabens. It has a delicious coconut fragrance, too.
- Effective anti-dandruff shampoo designed for curly hair
- Moisturizes, leaving the hair smooth and soft
- Appealing coconut fragrance
- Contains no parabens or artificial color
- Has both silicone and SLES
Davines NOUNOU Shampoo
The simple packaging and black and white label are deceptive. Your eyes might slide right past the shampoo and conditioner (packed in a tub!) on their way to something flashier. But these pricey products are worth every penny. They are made in Italy with premium natural ingredients and scientific precision.
Moreover, they won Allure’s Best of Beauty Award for the way they pamper damaged hair. The company says the secret ingredient is the Fiaschetto tomato harvested on a local farm. It provides excellent hydration and leaves the hair soft and vibrant.
The products work wonders whether you have waves, curls, or kinky hair. You should see a noticeable improvement the first time you use them.
They have a light fragrance that won’t overwhelm perfume, either.
- Best of Beauty Award-winning products made with natural ingredients
- Restore damaged hair to health with a visible improvement after only one use
- Suitable for waves, curls, and kinky hair
- Subtle fragrance
- More expensive than drugstore options
Cantu Sulfate-Free Cleansing Cream Shampoo
Have you heard about co-washing? It works well if you have dry, curly hair, but if you have normal or oily hair, you might need something a little stronger. That’s where this gentle cream shampoo comes in handy.
It’s sulfate-free to protect fragile hair from breakage. Yet, it’s potent enough to cleanse oily hair and remove residue with a luxurious lather.
Reviewers say it has a light floral coconut fragrance. It doesn’t add volume, but it leaves the hair clean and shiny. Be sure to grab the matching cream conditioner, too.
- More effective than co-washing, removes residue and buildup
- Defends fragile hair from breakage and moisturizes
- Sulfate-free with a light fragrance
- Suitable for all wavy and curly hair types and textures
- Does not add volume
SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-In Conditioner
This leave-in conditioner accompanies the very first shampoo and conditioner in the reviews above. But you can still use it with a different set of products. It’s formulated for chemically processed hair, whether permed, straightened, or colored. It also protects against damage from heat-styling.
The formula has no mineral oil, petrolatum, parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or silicone. Instead, it’s fortified with Jamaican black castor oil and shea butter. Although we didn’t find any scientific studies on Jamaican black castor oil, there’s lots of anecdotal evidence about how it helps with hair growth. Plus, it’s a non-comedogenic emollient that can strengthen the hair.
This conditioner is made to add a defensive layer that prevents split ends and breakage. It helps with detangling and frizz as well.
Then, there’s one more detail that makes it fun to use. Apply it to damp hair after towel-drying. Comb it through with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb, and you’ll notice a cooling sensation on the scalp. That’s the peppermint oil doing its job. There’s no need to rinse – just enjoy.
- Extra-nourishing leave-in conditioner that prevents breakage, split ends, tangles, and frizz
- Defends against and repairs damage from heat-styling and chemical processing
- Free of sulfates, parabens, silicone, petrolatum, mineral oil, and phthalates
- Feels cooling on the scalp
- Not everyone enjoys the fragrance
Keep your curls healthy with the best shampoos and conditioners for permed hair. They moisturize without weighing down the hair, leaving it shiny and bouncy.
We hope our reviews helped you find your new favorite hair care products today. We’d love to hear about your experience using them. Feel free to leave us a comment below.
1. https://hairpros.edu/how-long-does-a-perm-last/ How to take care of your perm, by Hair Professionals Career College, published February 11, 2020, accessed May 14, 2021