The world is discovering the benefits of centella skin care. You might call it cica, and it’s the same as Centella asiatica. It’s also known as Tiger grass and Gotu kola. Whatever its name, this medicinal plant works wonders on acne, psoriasis, wounds, scars, and aging skin.
Centella asiatica contains compounds like Madecassoside, asiaticoside, and pentacyclic triterpenes that are scientifically proven to reduce inflammation, build collagen, and speed up healing. In other words, centella asiatica is good for skin! (1)
We researched the best centella asiatica products for skin and reviewed them below. Among the best cica products we selected facial cleanser, serums, ampules, moisturizers, and creams. There’s something for every skin type and almost every concern.
Check out our favorite centella skin care products here:
|The best centella asiatica products for skin||Why we love them|
|iUNIK Centella Bubble Foaming Facial Cleanser||
|[ONE THING] Centella Asiatica Extract Toner||
|PURITO Centella Green Level Buffet Serum||
|PURITO Centella Green Level Recovery Cream||
|SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Asiatica Ampoule Facial Serum||
|Meebak cica cream Age-Repair Moisturizer||
|COSRX Centella Blemish Cream||
|L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Cicacream||
|VT COSMETICS Daily Soothing Mask||
- Best Centella Asiatica Products in 2021
- iUNIK Centella Bubble Foaming Facial Cleanser
- [ONE THING] Centella Asiatica Extract Toner
- PURITO Centella Green Level Buffet Serum
- PURITO Centella Green Level Recovery Cream
- SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Asiatica Ampoule Facial Serum
- Meebak cica cream Age-Repair Moisturizer
- COSRX Centella Blemish Cream
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Cicacream
- VT COSMETICS Daily Soothing Mask
Best Centella Asiatica Products in 2021
iUNIK Centella Bubble Foaming Facial Cleanser
Unlike most face washes that are mostly water, this one is 69% Centella asiatica extract. The foaming formula is excellent for oily and acne-prone skin because it also has tea tree. Together, these potent natural ingredients kill the bacteria that cause pimples and accelerate healing to clear up breakouts.
Moreover, the sub-acid and pH-balanced cleanser calms the skin and helps fade dark spots and scars with allantoin, rice bran, and licorice root. For best results, massage it gently on damp skin and let it sit for a minute or two before rinsing.
Happily, it’s fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and hypoallergenic. It contains no sulfates or parabens, either. It’s even safe for sensitive, dry skin as long as you moisturize after washing with it.
- pH-balanced face wash that’s 69% Centella asiatica extract
- Also contains tea tree, rice bran, and licorice root
- Clears up breakouts, calms the skin, and helps fade acne scars
- Made for all skin types, but especially effective for oily, acne-prone complexions
- Hypoallergenic formula with no parabens, artificial fragrance, or sulfates
- Pump top bottle
[ONE THING] Centella Asiatica Extract Toner
After cleansing, soothe and tone your skin with centella. It calms redness and prepares the face to better absorb serum and moisturizer.
This alcohol-free toner is 95% Centella asiatica extract with only two other ingredients. In fact, it’s 100% plant-based and all three ingredients are listed as safe on the EWG Skin Deep Database. Plus, the Korean-made product is appropriate for all skin types.
If you transfer some of it to a spray bottle you can mist your face to refresh it in the middle of the day. But please store the toner in a cool, dark place just as you would any other plant-based product without harsh preservatives.
- Alcohol-free toner for all skin types
- Calms redness and prepares the skin for serum and moisturizer
- Fragrance-free formula is 95% Centella asiatica extract
- No harsh ingredients
PURITO Centella Green Level Buffet Serum
If you’re looking for a way to get Centella asiatica and niacinamide together, try this serum. It soothes stressed skin and repairs it. It’s especially nice for combination complexions.
All too often, we use skincare products that aren’t suitable for our skin. Worse, we’re exposed to pollution and have trouble sticking to a healthy diet. All of this results in inflammation, dullness, and breakouts. Niacinamide is part of the solution because it strengthens the skin and fixes uneven skin tone.
Meanwhile, cica calms inflammation and promotes healing at a cellular level. It works hand-in-hand with the peptides and panthenol in the serum to regenerate and restore the skin. Check the label and you’ll see that these essential ingredients aren’t an afterthought. Instead, the main ingredient is Centella asiatica extract and it’s 49% of the formula.
The serum contains no parabens or artificial fragrance. With a pH of 6.1, the watery gel is perfect for balancing the complexion after cleansing and toning. Also, it’s cruelty-free and vegan.
Reviewers say the serum absorbs rapidly and seems to get rid of pimples and hormonal acne faster with less pain and redness.
- 49% Centella asiatica extract with niacinamide, panthenol, and peptides
- Restores elasticity and promotes healing, quickly calms and clears up acne
- pH-balanced and excellent for combination skin
- Contains no artificial fragrance or parabens
- Some reviewers noted that the skin feels slightly tacky after using the serum
PURITO Centella Green Level Recovery Cream
Say goodbye to acne. Calm and hydrate with this lightweight face cream. Smooth it on after cleansing and applying serum to get the most from both products.
The cream is packed with healing ingredients like niacinamide, madecassic acid, and cica. In fact, it’s 50% Centella asiatica extract, making it a very potent cica cream. All the ingredients are “Green Level” with no irritants (like parabens or perfumes) for sensitive skin.
Users say it has a slight herbal scent from the natural ingredients. It’s perfect for oily skin as it’s hydrating without being greasy. Using it daily helps clear the complexion and eliminate redness.
- 50% of the formula is Centella asiatica extract
- Lightweight and non-greasy, perfect for oily, acne-prone skin
- No artificial fragrance or parabens, all ingredients are “Green Level”
SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Asiatica Ampoule Facial Serum
When we think of cica, we think of Korea because that’s where the majority of Centella asiatica products seem to come from. But it turns out that Madagascar off the coast of Africa is where it was discovered. Now, it’s cultivated around the world because of its outstanding skincare benefits.
Take this centella ampoule, for example. Ordinarily, you’d tap a few drops onto your face after washing. But did you know you could use it to treat sunburn? Soak a cotton pad and leave it on the sore spot for up to ten minutes to cool it down and help it recover faster.
If your skin is behaving badly, you can also layer the serum for maximum correction. Apply two or three drops and wait till it’s absorbed. Then do the same thing again and again before applying moisturizer.
The only downside is that the formula has alcohol which may be off-putting to those with dry skin. On the other hand, reviewers with acne and acne scars are thrilled with the results.
- Cica ampoule for calming oily, acne-prone complexions
- Accelerates healing and recovery from breakouts
- Can be layered and used to treat sunburn
- Not alcohol-free
Meebak cica cream Age-Repair Moisturizer
If you haven’t tried a K-beauty cica cream yet, start here. It’s made for anyone who wants younger-looking skin. That’s because it doesn’t just have Centella asiatica, but also retinol, a powerful anti-aging ingredient. Retinol resurfaces the skin at a cellular level to smooth wrinkles and erase discoloration.
Furthermore, a peptide complex encourages elasticity while hyaluronic acid and natural extracts hydrate and plump the skin.
If you’ve never tried retinol, you might be a little nervous. It has a reputation for drying the skin. But rest assured, this cream is full of moisturizers to counterbalance the effect. It’s even mild enough for sensitive skin.
The cream takes a few days to a few weeks to work miracles. But on the bright side, it’s made with safe ingredients and no parabens or phthalates. Happily, it comes with a satisfaction guarantee, too.
- Cica with retinol to smooth wrinkles and fade discoloration
- Hydrates and plumps the skin, mild enough for sensitive complexions
- Contains no parabens or phthalates
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee
- The concentration of Centella asiatica isn’t as high as some other creams
COSRX Centella Blemish Cream
Here’s the best cica spot cream for acne. It’s a lightweight moisturizer based on Centella asiatica leaf water (the base ingredient). If you apply it on a pimple at night, you’ll see that it greatly reduces the redness and swelling. Blemishes become less painful and noticeable by morning.
No, it’s not oil-free, but oil isn’t always bad for acne-prone skin. Alongside Centella, it also has tea tree oil which kills the bacteria that causes acne.
If there’s any complaint, it’s that the cream is slow to absorb. It doesn’t take much, however.
- Cica cream for acne
- Reduces painful blemishes overnight
- Based on Centella asiatica leaf water and tea tree oil
L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Cicacream
We’ll be honest, we’re a little disappointed with L’Oreal’s cica cream. Our dissatisfaction has nothing to do with its performance and everything to do with the fact that Centella asiatica is at the bottom of the ingredients label. It’s practically an afterthought. Meanwhile, Korean-made cica creams almost always feature Centella as one of the main ingredients, first on the list.
If you look beyond that, you’ll find lots of happy users. They say that it smooths the lines around their eyes and mouth and leaves the skin more youthful. Of course, those effects could come from retinol, which the cream also contains.
On the plus side, this is a dermatologist-tested product made without artificial fragrances, parabens, and dyes.
- Youth-promoting moisturizer with retinol and Centella asiatica
- Dermatologist-tested for sensitive skin
- Free of artificial fragrances, dyes, and parabens
- Centella asiatica is at the bottom of the ingredients list
VT COSMETICS Daily Soothing Mask
It feels so nice to cool down stressed skin with a sheet mask. This one rejuvenates with a unique cica serum featuring “Cicaliao+Cicahyalon”.
The pack has thirty thick, soft sheet masks that are designed to hug every curve of the face. Put one on after cleansing and toning, then relax for fifteen minutes while it calms the skin. There’s no need for rinsing – just rub in the extra essence.
Just a note – the formula lists an artificial fragrance, but it’s the final ingredient. The important highlights include skin-friendly favorites like hyaluronic acid, madecassosoide, Royal jelly, amino acids, and chamomile.
- Pack of thirty soothing sheet masks
- Serum features Centella asiatica, madecassosoide, Royal jelly, and chamomile
- Hydrates and relaxes stressed skin
- Has an artificial fragrance
If you’re struggling with acne, redness, or premature aging, Centella asiatica can make it better. We hope the selection of the best cica skincare products helped you find what you need today.
If you’re enjoying your new cica cleanser, serum, cream, or sheet mask, we’d love to hear about your experience with it. Please feel free to leave us a comment below.
1 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3834700/ Bylka, Wiesława et al. “Centella asiatica in cosmetology”. Postepy dermatologii i alergologii vol. 30,1 (2013): 46-9. doi:10.5114/pdia.2013.33378